LoadUI/SoapUI Web Page Test: User Input

This is community board for the SoapUI Community. Here the members can exchange experiences and help each other improve their soapUI testing.

LoadUI/SoapUI Web Page Test: User Input

Postby swilson » 04 Jul 2011 12:29

Hi,
I have been evaluating loadUI and so far everything looks great. Very well documented and easy to use.

One of my evaluation use-cases is to have a test case for our web-app to:
1) Navigate to the logon page
2) Enter user-name password
3) Click Login and see our post-logon "dashboard" page (user session is maintained in an HTTP cookie. The dashboad will not render without a successful login)

From the loadUI "Testing Web Pages" tutorial I am directed to use soapUI for cases classed as "complex" such as those which need to "Maintain sessions via HTTP Cookies...".
I can only find very basic documentation for setting up a SoapUI web test case. Using this I can navigate to the logon page (step 1) but I can't find how enter to credentials and login (steps 2-3).
My keybaord input is not captured when I use the recorder (it does not appear on screen).

I am using SoapUI v4.0 and LoadUI v1.5 (neither is the professional version).

All of our UI test cases will have a pre-requisite of a logon so this is a show-stopper for our evaluation. It seems a bit like the great documentation stopped just when I got to the fundamentals of what I need to test.

Please can somebody help with this? My only alternative is to switch over to jMeter - loadUI has been so much better so far, I really don't want to do this!

Thanks

Sarah
swilson
User

Re: LoadUI/SoapUI Web Page Test: User Input

Postby SmartBear Support » 04 Jul 2011 15:41

Hi,

You should be able to use the Web Recording feature of soapUI, as described here. Basically you use the HTML view of the TestCase to enter the login information, just like you would any other browser. Good luck!

Regards,
Dain
eviware.com
SmartBear Support
Administrator
Administrator

Postby swilson » 04 Jul 2011 16:09

Thanks for the reply Dain.
I had got as far as creating the web test case and recording. The problem is happening when I try to input data into my fields and submit the form. I've uploaded a screen shot to show what I mean.

soapUIRecording.PNG
soapUIRecording.PNG (54.66 KiB) Viewed 11255 times

I can click around the screen but I can't input data.

I don't know whether it makes a difference. The application is written using wicket so names etc are generated dynamically. I had to use regular expressions to get things working in jmeter.
(follow-up: I don't think the problem is wicket. I tried inputting data in the form at this URL using a web test case and had the same problem: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_forms.asp)

Best Regards
Sarah
Last edited by swilson on 04 Jul 2011 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
swilson
User

Postby SmartBear Support » 04 Jul 2011 16:15

Hi,

Hmm, it may be that this dynamically generated form isn't handled by the web recording in soapUI. If you know the POST parameters that submitting the form actually sends, then you can manually create a HttpTestStep to do this, but the details on this depend on the exact parameters of the form, so I can't help you much there.

Regards,
Dain
eviware.com
SmartBear Support
Administrator
Administrator

Postby swilson » 04 Jul 2011 16:20

Hi Dain,
Thanks for the quick reply again!

I tried a static page: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_forms.asp
This had the same problems. I could not type data into the input fields on the form using the recorder.

I'm sure I'll have problems further on with wicket, but I now don't think this is one of them.
Any ideas?

Best Regards
Sarah
swilson
User

Postby PaulKeates » 13 Jul 2011 00:10

Hi,

I have exactly the same problems with soapUI; unable to automate the login page and the fields not accepting input.

I wrote them up (today) and am hoping that someone can figure it out. I will keep searching / experimenting for the answer.

I submitted my ticket on the soapUI forum.

I think this could be a great tool if these things could be solved; we'd pay for the PRO version.

Thanks,

Paul
PaulKeates
User

Postby swilson » 18 Jul 2011 07:25

Thanks wangyin. The second form I tested this with is publically available and is a very simple form.
It's on the w3 site: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_forms.asp.
I used that one to rule out anything 'fancy' in my site.
In the end I switched to using jMeter which is a shame because the loadUI/soapUI seems a far nicer tool.
Best Regards
Sarah
swilson
User

Postby jchas5 » 01 Sep 2011 23:02

We are experiencing the same problem. Is there any status on this?
jchas5
User

Postby roberticogonzalez77 » 05 Sep 2011 22:09

Same problem here. Tried to input user name and password and I can't. Any status on this issue?

Regards,
RG
roberticogonzalez77
User

Postby cuperman007 » 07 Sep 2011 11:45

Same problem for me (My post parameters aren't being successfully processed for an ASP.NET app (__EVENTVALIDATION and __VIEWSTATE) ).

I was not able to record the POST behaviour, not able to use HTTP Monitor and copy the POSTS and also not successful in manually creating the POST (copying request information in from Fiddler).

Any chance of a load of additions to the Web and HTTP section on at SoapUI.org?

This is pretty frustrating, and lack of commentary from Eviware / SmartBear is also very poor!

Thanks,
Mark
cuperman007
User

Postby maheshkatte » 08 Sep 2011 07:57

Am also facing the same issue..
am not able to add the username and password as input data
pl help
Thanks and Regards
Mahesh Katte
India

swilson wrote:Hi,
I have been evaluating loadUI and so far everything looks great. Very well documented and easy to use.

One of my evaluation use-cases is to have a test case for our web-app to:
1) Navigate to the logon page
2) Enter user-name password
3) Click Login and see our post-logon "dashboard" page (user session is maintained in an HTTP cookie. The dashboad will not render without a successful login)

From the loadUI "Testing Web Pages" tutorial I am directed to use soapUI for cases classed as "complex" such as those which need to "Maintain sessions via HTTP Cookies...".
I can only find very basic documentation for setting up a SoapUI web test case. Using this I can navigate to the logon page (step 1) but I can't find how enter to credentials and login (steps 2-3).
My keybaord input is not captured when I use the recorder (it does not appear on screen).

I am using SoapUI v4.0 and LoadUI v1.5 (neither is the professional version).

All of our UI test cases will have a pre-requisite of a logon so this is a show-stopper for our evaluation. It seems a bit like the great documentation stopped just when I got to the fundamentals of what I need to test.

Please can somebody help with this? My only alternative is to switch over to jMeter - loadUI has been so much better so far, I really don't want to do this!

Thanks

Sarah
maheshkatte
User

Postby maheshkatte » 08 Sep 2011 08:19

Hello Dain,
pl can you give more details about the post parameters and that submitting the form actually sends..
pl possible give the snapshot for the same :)

thanks and Regards
Mahesh Katte
India

SmartBear Support wrote:Hi,

Hmm, it may be that this dynamically generated form isn't handled by the web recording in soapUI. If you know the POST parameters that submitting the form actually sends, then you can manually create a HttpTestStep to do this, but the details on this depend on the exact parameters of the form, so I can't help you much there.

Regards,
Dain
eviware.com
maheshkatte
User

Postby kmsb11 » 15 Sep 2011 16:40

I'm also seeing this problem with an ASP.NET 4.0 web forms application. I cannot enter username or password(can't get focus) from within the web recording session.

I've posted a message here

http://www.soapui.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8443&sid=21a4aefa3f688e71b45a16ccd4a195ef

Thanks
Keith
kmsb11
User

Postby tomgimpel » 24 Oct 2011 17:47

Any update on this??? It's been a few months
tomgimpel
User

Postby cobolman » 22 Nov 2011 02:22

I had this problem in SoapUI 4.0.1. I went back to version 3.6.1 and the form entry works ok.
cobolman
User

Next

Return to SoapUI Community Board